Saturday, February 7, 2009

Eating Alone

When you travel for business you are often found eating alone. At casual restaurants it is fairly simple, you bring a book, magazine, etc... You basically order, eat and get on to the rest of your life. But what happens when you are a foodie. The restaurants you frequent are not usually casual and are not exactly the atmosphere to whip out the latest Nora Roberts best seller (by the way the new 3 part series about the Pagan Stone is really good for an airplane read).
So how a restaurant reacts to a single diner is very important to me.
I made an early reservation at a restaurant tonight (5:30pm) and was the first patron to enter the restaurant. I was treated like a queen. Actually not a queen so much but some who appreciated food and was there for the whole experience. I was not rushed (my dinner took 3 hrs.) and every question, concern and comment was not only heard but reacted to. The server recommended wine, food, etc... He even talked to me about a book he was reading about a food writer, even so far as bring me the book so I could write down the information.
Basically it was a fabulous experience and I wish all dining experiences could be so awesome.
Why can't all restaurants hire such observant and caring servers? My only wish is that all the restaurants I frequent in the future can live up to this one.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Dude. This blog needs an update!