Saturday, September 6, 2008

Why are there no good movies?

Ok. So tonight Marvin and I went to the movies. We have been wanting to go for a few weeks now and the chilly, rainy weather made it the perfect date option tonight. But alas, when we brought up the movie showtimes we were sorely disappointed in the selection. After much debate and trailer watching we chose Bangkok Dangerous with Nicholas Cage because it seemed like the least likely to make me want to poke my eyes out. Without telling you the story line (what little there was) or the ending (which actually made me say "are you freakin' kidding me?") I can say without a doubt that I wasted an hour and forty minutes of my life. The only good part was being with Marvin and splurging some points on some popcorn. It was so bad that we actually stayed and watched another film so that I wouldn't go home angry. Babylon A.D. was the flick. It's shining light was Vin Diesel and the fact that I left the theater less unhappy than before. Not a horrible movie, but definitely a renter.
Where have all the good movies gone? I remember a time when I could go to the theater on a Saturday and there were three good movies I could see in a row and then go back on Sunday and see three more. Now I'm lucky to see a preview that even slightly tantalizes my movie senses. As you can tell this upsets me. So if anyone out there has an in in Hollywood please send them a message for me, "Start making decent movies with endings that make sense!". Seriously. There are endings, like in Primal Fear, where you sit dumbfounded but get why it had to be that way. Then there are endings like in No Country for Old Men, where you throw crap at the TV because it is so ridiculous and there is no rhyme or reason to the senseless killing. (Now don't go getting upset with me about knocking the movie around. I know it was a Cohen brothers flick and they had a thousand little nuances and points. I just wanted a decent ending!!!!!!!!)
Ok enough of the complaining. So everyone out there in blog land please pray to the little movie Buddhas that they get there act together in the bizarre movie world.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

This is why we rented movies on Saturday night. Semi Pro was hilarious, albeit 12 year old boy humor. And Smart People rocked.

Miss you! And I am so glad you're back to blogland.

Yo Mama said...

Hey litte girl, how are you doing? You have been on my mind alot lately, guess I just miss you. Too bad about the movies, but after reading your blog update looks like you have had one GREAT summer, I am so jealous :)
Sending you your mail Monday.
Love you!
PS. Marvin too!