Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Depression Cookies


So last night I decided to take a trip down memory lane and satisfy my chocolate fix all in one. When I was a kid my mom used to make us these great cookies that she called Depression Cookies. I have no idea where the name came from but if I had to guess I would say that these were cheaper to make then the packaged cookies were to buy. Regardless of why they are named as such, they are delicious!

How do you make these fantastic sounding historical pieces of my chocolate addiction? If you can make a PB & J sandwich then you are ahead of the game. There are two ingredients, graham crackers and frosting (flavor of your choice). Simply put, you break the graham crackers in half and slather on as much, or as little, of your favorite frosting. I use prepared frosting which suits my crazy lifestyle, but you could of course make yours from scratch. One can of frosting usually will allow you to make the entire box of graham crackers.

Simple, sweet and oh so scrumptious! Thank you mom for bringing these into the kitchen!

4 comments:

Michelle said...

Thanks a lot... now I have to send D to the store for graham crackers & frosting. And who the hell MAKES their own frosting for these? It's straight out of the can chocolatey goodness for me!

Grace said...

Whatever you want to call them, chocolate frosting and graham crackers should be a staple for any household. A Tip: the graham cracker sticks are not the same.

Michelle said...

Oh, and I really did send him to the store. Unfortunately he bought the whipped frosting... it's just not the same as the thick stuff. They were still good though, just not AS good as they could have been.

Jackie said...

I actually used the whipped frosting for this very thing...not the same but still chocolate goodness!